Sweetened whipped heavy cream by a fancy name is Chantilly Cream—a popular and delicious accompaniment to everything from fresh fruit to ice cream to pie and more. Culinary legend attributes this delightful airy concoction to the 17th century French chef, Vatel, who worked in the Château de Chantilly in France. In Chef Vatel’s time, as today, a copper bowl works best to whip cream—especially by hand. However, a good stand mixer and balloon whisk attachment make quick work of the job.
- 1 cup cold, heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Serves 6 to 8
- Combine all the ingredients in a copper bowl or metal bowl of a stand mixer.
- Whip until firm peaks form that hold their shape when the whisk or whisk attachment is lifted up and out of the bowl.
- Serve immediately, chilling unused portions.